Celebrating 20 Years of Sustainability
Twenty years ago, UC Santa Barbara formed the Central Campus Sustainability Committee, which went on to become UCSB Sustainability — a collective effort to implement changes and improvements for a more sustainable future. In recognition of this milestone anniversary, and in continued celebration of Earth Day, we recognize a few of the many ways we've invested in our campus and our planet thanks to the collaborative efforts of our staff, students, administrators and faculty.
Over two decades of focused sustainability efforts UC Santa Barbara has:
• led the way in green building for universities with 1.8 million square feet of LEED certified facilities
• reduced its natural gas use intensity by more than 35% over the last 10 years through campus energy efficiency measures
• cut operational greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by powering the main campus with carbon-free electricity as part of the UC Clean Power Program
• cultivated a new generation of sustainability champions through our robust and active sustainability internship program, serving over 600 students since 2002
• boosted sustainability on campus and beyond through partnerships with government agencies, community-based organizations, peer campuses and other entities across the region and statewide
Here's to many more!